Matrics of Melkobosstrand High, you have finally made it. This means that despite any doubt that you may have had you have survived nearly all your five years of high school. It may seem as if this year is only going to be filled with stress, all-nighters and lots and lots of coffee to keep you awake – to some extent this is true. But do not fear for this is your ultimate guide through your matric year:
- Get as much rest as you possibly can. It is important for the brain to be well rested and fully charged to be able to function to the best of its ability.
- Take a chill pill. Your mental wellbeing is important.
- We all love the internet. Use it to your advantage. If you don’t understand something google it, watch that youtube video. Sometimes getting an outside perspective is all you need to ace that physics test!
- The three P’s. Plan, prioritise and punctuality. Plan your time effectively. Prioritise the important dates (open days, application dates etc.) Be punctual with applying, the sooner the better.
- It is your choice to make the best of you last year of high school. Have fun! Take part in all your school activities no matter how bizarre or ‘out of your comfort zone’. Remember, an involved learner is a happy learner.
“Make the most of it. It’s your most crucial year of your high school career,” says Samirah Luyt, matriculant of 2017. More advice from a former Melkie, Amber-Cassidy Matthews, “Firstly, don’t take everything seriously. Have fun because before you know it your six months are gone.”
It is so important to savour every single moment. Do not wish for the matric year to be over and whatever you do, do not count down the months you have left. All that that is good for is stressing you out even more and making you anxious that you only have a few more months left before you have to venture out into the real world. It is your year to shine. Good luck matriculants. You’ve got this!